BB: Selig Balks On DH Rule

You will never get anywhere by standing still and Bud Selig has his legs cemented into the ground.

There are several things that baseball fans would like to see change in the game to make it better, but Selig made another public stand today at All-Star Fan Fest in Kansas City.

He appeared on MLB Network Radio's afternoon show "Ripken Baseball" with Cal and Billy Ripken, and he was asked the tough questions and he gave the same old, disappointing answers.

The biggest disappointment was his response to unifying the rules between the American League and National League. Bill Ripken, who is a staunch believer in making the DH universal, made his push for it and Selig balked.

This was his response:
"I like the DH rule. On the other hand, I've watched many National League games and I like that. I've often said, and I'll say it again, it'll take some cataclysmic event to maybe clean that up one way or another. What am I talking about? Geographical realignment, which really is not in the cards right now. Looking at all of the popularity and attendance figures, I guess our fans seem to like it the way it is and that's very important to me. I don't think the difference in rules has really hurt us at all. And it's been 40 years now, so the grand old game is doing pretty well."
A cataclysmic event? Really? That's your answer?

It shouldn't take a cataclysmic event. It should take a persuasive and persistent commissioner. You have the power to make this happen.


Besides, the Houston Astros are making the move to the American League next season which means that the Leagues will be evened out — 15 in each. That, of course, means there will have to be an Interleague game every day.

That means everyday either an American League team or a National League team will be affected by the DH rule, depending on the location.

That's not cataclysmic enough to make a change?

To me it is.

It's like in 2002 when the All-Star Game ended in a tie. That was "cataclysmic" enough to make the All-Star Game decide home-field advantage in the World Series.

It's like last season's amazing final day of baseball. It was so thrilling, so "cataclysmic" that it led to the inception of a second wild card and a one-game playoff.


A slew of blown home run calls led to the bad word — instant replay — on home run calls.

That's three instances where major changes were made because Selig reacted to something and made it happen.

I'm not sure what he thinks has to take place for this to even be an option, but it's gone on long enough.

I enjoy the National League game, but I understand that the DH will never disappear. And because I'd rather see equal rules throughout (and maybe Ryan Howard as a DH for the Phillies) I'm in favor of making the DH the universal rule.

I just really hope that Selig's comment earlier today was just smoke and mirrors for what will certainly be discussed in the offseason. Several managers have been vocal about this, saying that it should be equal.

Hopefully, their voices will be heard in the offseason.

For more of Selig's comments today, go to MLB.com.

Comments