Major League Baseball Predictions


Can the Reds win the World Series in 2013? I think so.
I’ve made my fantasy JLB projections, so now it’s time for the MLB projections.

Last season, I had the Rangers beating the Giants in the World Series, and I predicted only three of six divisions correctly. I had the Rays finishing first and they didn’t make the playoffs. I had the Rangers finishing first and they lost out to the Athletics on the final day of the season. And I had the Phillies being much better than they really were.

I was just happy that I got the Giants part right. I actually told my boss in June that I think they were going to win, despite my selection of the Rangers over the Giants, and as soon as the playoffs started, I had the Giants winning it all in my bracket.

I’m high on the Giants again this year, but not for the World Series.

I think they’ll fall a bit short.

And no, I’m not taking everyone’s classy pick of the Tigers-Nationals World Series.

I’m not buying the hype that 28 teams do not have a chance.

I think there’s so many teams that could make a run, it’s going to make the 2013 a season that we enjoy from start to finish.

So without further delay, he’s my picks, complete with win totals that actually equal up to 2,430, so it’s realistic.

NL EAST
1
Nationals
95
67
2
Braves
89
73
3
Phillies
86
76
4
Mets
71
91
5
Marlins
66
96

NL CENTRAL
1
Reds
98
64
2
Brewers
88
74
3
Pirates
83
79
4
Cardinals
81
81
5
Cubs
68
94

NL WEST
1
Giants
94
68
2
Diamondbacks
86
76
3
Dodgers
83
79
4
Padres
70
92
5
Rockies
64
98

AL EAST
1
Blue Jays
91
71
2
Orioles
88
74
3
Rays
86
76
4
Red Sox
81
81
5
Yankees
76
86

AL CENTRAL
1
Tigers
92
70
2
Royals
89
73
3
White Sox
83
79
4
Indians
79
83
5
Twins
61
101

AL WEST
1
Athletics
90
72
2
Angels
85
77
3
Rangers
78
84
4
Mariners
76
86
5
Astros
53
109

Wild Cards
Royals over Orioles
Braves over Brewers

Divisional Series
Royals over Tigers
Jays over Athletics
Reds over Braves
Giants over Nationals

Conference Series
Royals over Jays
Reds over Giants

World Series
Reds over Royals


So there you have it. The Royals are going to the World Series to play the Reds.

I think Cincinnati will put together a great season and dash the hopes of the Royals faithful who themselves will enjoy a magical season where James Shields is in the conversation for the Cy Young with 18-20 wins, and Billy Butler is a darkhorse candidate for the MVP.


Over/Unders with Parker & Jimmy


Last season, Parker and I did over-under predictions for baseball.

I finished with 17 right and 13 wrong, whereas Parker had 13 right and 17 wrong.

Looks like I beat him again.

Man, I wonder if losing to me ever gets old for him?

Well, either way, he’s trying again. Let’s see how he does this year.


Arizona Diamondbacks, 81.5

Parker | Under: The Dodgers and Giants are in a class of their own in this division. The Diamondbacks have not done anything significant other than get rid of Upton this offseason, so how are they supposed to improve on 81 wins last year?

Jimmy | Over: This year, I disagree with Parker right off the bat. It took a few picks before we finally disagreed. I think the Diamondbacks will be in playoff contention. As you saw in my preview, I have them winning 86 games and finishing in second in the NL West. Yes, Justin Upton is a loss, but I’m a big fan of their pitching, and in that division, that’s all you need to beat the Dodgers. The young arms they can throw out there will be great and I think Brandon McCarthy, Ian Kennedy and Wade Miley form a devastating trio that will help them get over 81.5 wins.


Atlanta Braves, 86

Parker | Over: The Braves will finish second in the division with around 95 wins which is one more than last year. Everyone says they have the best outfield in the league. Well, I say they have the outfield with the most potential and if they live of to that potential they can give Washington a run.

Jimmy | Over: Second in the division with 95 wins? Pfft. That’s finishing first in this division. But they won’t do that. 89-90 wins is more like it, which is still over, and still playoff worthy.


Baltimore Orioles, 76.5

Parker | Over: The AL East has completely done a 180 degree turn in the past couple years. The Orioles surprised a lot of people last year with 93 wins. They have a lot of young talent in Machado and Bundy and they will be right there for the Wild Card again with around 90 wins.

Jimmy | Over: I hate this division. Hardest one to pick. I could make a case for every team to win it and every team to lose it, but I went with the Blue Jays (read why later). The Orioles were my second pick to win 88. The young pitching that is coming up in Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman will give them a nice boost in July, and help them to hold off the Rays for second place.


Boston Red Sox, 79.5

Parker | Under: Their rotation is shaky, they are injury prone on the field and even the Flyin’ Hawaiian can’t make this a winning team. Fourth place in the division with 76 wins.

Jimmy | Over: Agree to disagree. Yes, the Red Sox will finish in fourth, but the duo of Jon Lester and Clay Buccholz will do enough to get them to 81 wins. Nothing flashy, but it certainly makes them feel better that they’re ahead of the Yankees.


Chicago Cubs, 72

Parker | Under: The Cubs had 61 wins last year, they have some young talent in the works but didn’t do much over the offseason. They now have lost some wins since the Astros are no longer in the NL Central and playing 20 games against 4 good teams in the division, it doesn’t look good. 64 Wins.

Jimmy | Under: I’m giving the Cubs four more wins than Parker, but still keeping them under the 72 line. They have some strong young bats coming, but pitching is awful, there’s no prospects in sight (Triple-A or Double-A) and Matt Garza, if healthy, will be traded before the deadline.


Chicago White Sox, 80.5

Parker | Over: Chris Sale is a darkhorse NL Cy Young candidate this year. I think their offense is pretty decent with Rios, Konerko, Dunn, and Ramirez for a bounce back year. With Reed closing games they will get to 85 wins.

Jimmy | Over: But just barley. I have them at 83 wins, but they’ll finish third. I just think there are too many questions about this team. Yes, I like Chris Sale, too, but his rotation mates scare me a bit. And the offense is a little sketchy. And any time you let a top-notch catcher like A.J. Pierzynski just walk away without a solid backup option, I think you’re in trouble. That not only affects the offense, it affects the entire pitching staff.


Cincinnati Reds, 88.5

Parker | Over: Have you heard of the big three in Miami… Here’s the Cincinnati big Three: Cueto, Latos and Bailey. All are capable in wining 17-plus Games. With Chapman as the closer and Joey Votto playing the whole year. They will win 95 games and win the division.

Jimmy | Way Over: Come on, Vegas. Only 88.5? This team is going to win the most games in baseball this year. I have them at 98 and I wouldn’t be surprised for them to hit 100. Jay Bruce is going to have a huge year, and this pitching staff that was together for the entire season last year will continue to lead this team. Aroldis Chapman will close for the best bullpen in baseball, and the Reds will finally win some clutch playoff games to get to the series. … Who wrote this? Parker?


Cleveland Indians, 77.5

Parker | Under: With all the offseason acquisitions they are hoping that it will push them over the top… well it wont, they will realize that Bourn is over paid and so is Swisher. They should have spent some of that money on a rotation. 72 Wins.

Jimmy | Over: I’m happy to see that Parker and I are both not buying the Indians’ hype. Yes, I know. I selected over, but I have them at 79 wins, so I had to “click” the over button. I don’t like their pitching whatsoever. I think you’ll see something like the Royals of 2012. Promising offense but nothing on the mound to prevent huge early deficits.


Colorado Rockies, 71.5

Parker | Under: They have some good young talent coming up the system in Arenado but he’s not there yet and even with the MVP caliber Tulo and Cargo, they can’t compete in the division yet. 67 wins.

Jimmy | Under: I mean, seriously. They went with a four-man rotation at times last year. They have so little pitching, they man have to try that again. Offense can only carry you so far. It’s time to renovate Coors Field, particularly the outfield. Build higher walls or push them back. Make a stadium that is set up to handle the longer high flies. Who cares if you have the biggest outfield in MLB as result. Buy three centerfielders to play the outfield positions and then the pitching will not look as bad and free agents may actually want to come and pitch there. Rant over. Sixty-four wins.


Detroit Tigers, 90

Parker | Under: I think the division is getting tougher with the Royals and White Sox. They only won 88 last year so I don’t see them winning 90 but it will be close 88 again this year.

Jimmy | Over: Oh, Tigers. How you fooled us last year, thinking you were going to get to 100 wins, only managing 88. So I can understand why Parker went with the under. But I’m not falling for your foolish tricks again. You want me to pick the under, so I’m going over with 92 wins. This rotation is really good. Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer and Anibal Sanchez will get the job done. They’ll just have to hope the bullpen, if called upon, does the same. Oh, and the offense is ridiculously better with Victor Martinez and Torii Hunter in the mix.


Houston Astros, 59.5

Parker | Under: When I first saw this I said this has to be over but when you think about it, are the Astros going to lose over 100 games… The answer is Yes… They are a Triple A team playing in the MLB. 55 Wins

Jimmy | Under: I went through the same exact thought process as Parker. They have to win more than 59.5. But then again, they don’t. I have them at 53. No pitching. No real bats other than Jose Altuve.


Kansas City Royals, 79

Parker | Over: Way over, they are my darkhorse to be this year’s Orioles or A’s… They will make the playoffs for the following reasons. Moustakas, Hosmer, Butler, Perez and Gordon. They also have a pretty good solid Ace in Shields. 85 Wins and they will make a run at the division title.

Jimmy | Over: I don’t know how the Royals make the playoffs with 85 wins in the American League, so that’s why I have them winning 89. Parker should do his math or research or something.


Los Angeles Angels, 89.5

Parker | Over: They have arguably the best offense in the league, if everyone can stay healthy and no regression from Trout they will win at least 95 Wins.

Jimmy | Under: I don’t care how good your offense is; when your only pitcher is Jered Weaver, I’d be concerned. I don’t trust C.J. Wilson. I don’t trust Joe Blanton. I don’t trust Jason Vargas. And I certainly don’t trust Tommy Hanson at this point. And the bullpen? Don’t get me started on their bullpen. Offense will only get you so far and that’s 85 wins.


Los Angeles Dodgers, 90

Parker | Over: I think they will overtake the Giants this year and win the division. They have one of the best pitchers in the league in Kershaw and Ryu is going to be a good starter in the league, the rest of the rotation is solid. They have a MVP candidate in Kemp. 93 Wins.

Jimmy | Under: I think Parker is crazy, and so is anyone who thinks this team is really good. I have them with 83 wins. You don’t know what you’re getting out of Hanley Ramirez and the position he doesn’t play, be it third or short. Will Adrian Gonzalez bounce back? What about Carl Crawford? And Josh Beckett? The trades and moves made by this team confuse me. I think that Red Sox trade will haunt them for another year.


Miami Marlins, 64.5

Parker | Under: They demolished their team this offseason, once they hit the All-Star break and they only have 30 wins they will trade Stanton to the… Royals for some of their top prospects, he will take over for Francoeur in right, who is old and KC goes to the ALCS.  61 Wins

Jimmy | Over: I’m not sure about all that junk Parker wrote, but I have them at 66 wins. I think some of the younger players step up; I think we’ll see Christian Yellich at some point, and we’ll see some young pitchers play well enough to give them 66 wins. Nothing special, but 1.5 over the Vegas line.


Milwaukee Brewers, 79.5

Parker | Over: I think they will fight it out with the Cards for second in the division. They have acquired Lohse who I don’t think is the answer but will help. They have Braun and some good role players. They will win 84 Wins.

Jimmy | Over: I agree. But add the Pirates into the mix for that fight. And I have the Brewers winning that fight for the second spot and the wild card. I originally had them slated for 83 wins, but Kyle Lohse is certainly worth at least five more wins than whoever the Brewers were going to slide in at the No. 5 spot in their rotation. That’s why I bumped them to 88 wins and a wild card spot.


Minnesota Twins, 64.5

Parker | Under: They rotation is shaky to say the least. Their only bright spot that isn’t named “Mauer” is in center field and named Hicks. He can be something special but not yet. 61 wins.

Jimmy | Under: I have them at 61 wins, too. I guess I can leave it at that.


New York Mets, 74

Parker | Under: They have some good talent in Wheeler and d’Arnaud, but they aren’t going to affect the outcome of this season. 70 Wins.

Jimmy | Under: Those aforementioned players will not be up until July, and it will be the youth that helps the Mets scrap out 71 wins. Otherwise, they’d be a horrible 60- to 65-win team.


New York Yankees, 86.5

Parker | Way Under: They WILL finish dead last in the division. They’re old and that’s about all you have to say. Cano will not sign a contract this year and could possibly be traded because he’s not going to be happy this year. 78 Wins

Jimmy | Way Under: The best thing that could happen to the Yankees is trading Robinson Cano for a bevy of good young players. I have the Yankees at 76 wins and last place. I just couldn’t put them above any of the other AL East teams. Lyle Overbay, Vernon Wells, Travis Hafner and Brennan Boesch? Really? I know the pitching staff is good, but don’t be fooled Yankees fans. I was fooled last year into thinking Placido Polanco, Juan Pierre and Ty Wiggington were going to be enough to overcome the injuries to the Phillies’ star players. But that wasn’t the case at all. The loss of Curtis Granderson and Mark Teixeira will come at a high price. That and we don’t even know what to expect out of Derek Jeter.


Oakland Athletics, 83

Parker | Under: This division is going to be tough this year, they have a young pitching staff that I see may regress a bit this year. 80 Wins.

Jimmy | Over: Parker jumped off the train. I did not. It’s too much fun on this locomotive. We have Yoenis Cespedes, Jarrod Parker, Tommy Milone, A.J. Griffin, and some crazy outfielder with an insane beard. The A’s are for real and the win the West with 90 wins.


Philadelphia Phillies, 81.5

Parker | Under: I don’t see their pitching staff holding up this year, Hamels is the going to be good but that’s all… Howard and Utley are coming off injury, their outfield has question marks. 77 Wins.

Jimmy | Over: Oh, come on, Parker. I put your Reds in the World Series. You could at least go over on my Phils. I have the Phillies over with 86 wins. They don’t make the playoffs, but they play well enough to stay in contention until the final days of the season. I really like what this offense can do in 2013, and the bullpen won’t blow the insane number of games they gave up last year when they still won 81 games.


Pittsburgh Pirates, 79

Parker | Over: This year they won’t be a losing team but they won’t be a winning team either… McCutchen is a great player but he can’t do it alone. 81 Wins.

Jimmy | Over: I have the Pirates at 83 wins because I think James Taillon and Gerrit Cole are going to provide a huge boost, but it’s not going to be enough to get them to the playoffs, which is unfortunate. I’d really like to see Pittsburgh get in.


San Diego Padres, 74.5

Parker | Over: I like Volquez to have a bounce back year and I think Gyorko will give them the spark they need. 76 Wins.

Jimmy | Under: Oh, really. Parker likes Volquez. I wouldn’t have guessed. Well, I don’t agree that Mr. Walk-a-lot will have a bounce-back year. Gyorko, however, I could see winning the Rookie of the Year award. He’s going to be solid, but only solid enough to win 70 games. It could have been better, but they lost Casey Kelly, who had a chance to come up and lead them to some more wins.


San Francisco Giants, 86

Parker | Over: They have a solid rotation with the reigning MVP in Posey. They have a decent offense but their pitching staff will keep them in games. 92 Wins

Jimmy | Over: I had a really tough time picking the Reds win the World Series because I really wanted to pick the Giants to win. They are that good. Tim Lincecum is the wild card to me. If he can somehow return to the “Freak,” watch out. They are going back to the World Series instead. I have them winning 94 games. Watch out for the Brandons, Belt and Crawford. They’re ready.


Seattle Mariners, 76.5

Parker | Over: Seattle has a bunch of young talent that will be up at sometime this year. If they are up by the all start break, I’m talking about you Zunino and Hultzen they will compete for the wild card. 84 Wins.

Jimmy | Under: I mean, if you can call 76 wins under. It’s almost a push. Either way, I’m not going to Parkerland where the Mariners with 84 games. That seems a bit much. Yes, they’re improved offensively, I just don’t think there’s enough to get going this year. I know Spillane has them getting to the playoffs, and I understand why. There’s a lot of promise. I think this is a pick for 2014. As I told Spillane, right now, they remind me of the 2012 Royals. Almost, but not quite.


St. Louis Cardinals, 85.5

Parker | Under: St. Louis didn’t do anything over the offseason and in fact they lost Lohse… Holliday and Molina can’t hold this team together. 83 Wins

Jimmy | Under: I absolutely agree; although, I have them losing two more games than Parker and finishing with 81 wins and in fourth place. I know, it’s crazy, but it’s just how I feel. I think there’s a lot of holes, and I know there are multiple prospects in this organization, but I don’t think they have enough to put it together for 2013.


Tampa Bay Rays, 86

Parker | Over: They will give Toronto a run for the division title mainly because of their pitching like always and a guy named Myers. 91 Wins

Jimmy | Push: This is dangerous. I have them pegged for 86 wins in my prediction, so it’s not over or under. But for the sake of argument, if I had to pick one way or another, it would under, and it pains me to say this because I don’t want the Blue Jays to win this division, but I think they will. The Rays offense is a bit sketchy and because they are too cheap to allow Wil Myers to play Major League Baseball, they’ll hit 86 or fall just short. Disclaimer, though. If Myers comes up earlier, perhaps they make a push for the wild card or even the division, because we know they have the pitching, especially with Chris Archer coming.


Texas Rangers, 87

Parker | Under: Not by much, they lost a lot of offense and I don’t think their pitching can keep them in games without those bats. 84 Wins.

Jimmy | Under: I have them under, and it’s by a lot. I have them getting 78 wins. Outside of Yu Darvish and Matt Harrison, the starting pitching is a bit sketchy, but to me, you can’t lose Josh Hamilton and Michael Young and just continue on like you have. Hamilton is a huge offensive presence, and Young drives in runs and provides leadership. Everyone talked about Young’s WAR (wins above replacement), but we’re going to see what his replacements do. This team will struggle.


Toronto Blue Jays, 86.5

Parker | Over: They had some good trades that will win the division but won’t go far in the playoffs. 93 Wins

Jimmy | Over: As I said, I hate this division. I didn’t want to pick the Blue Jays as the division winner because I hate when teams gather stars and think it will just work, but I like Josh Johnson to have quite the bounce-back year. I also think this offense will be quite formidable.  They’ll get 91 wins to win the East, but it won’t be clinched until late September. The Orioles and Rays will be in the race in the final two weeks.


Washington Nationals, 90

Parker | Over: The Nats have what I think is the best one two punch in Strasburg and Gio, they both will win 20+ Games. The other 3 starters could win 12-15 games if not more. Their bullpen won about 20 games last year, they only strengthened that in the offseason… I haven’t even talked about the NL MVP in Harper. 101 Games.

Jimmy | Over: Ha, 101 wins. Come on now. Parker has such a crush on these guys. The Nats are the best team on paper. I’m tired of hearing that. I’m tired of hearing that about many teams over the years. And to me, most come up short, some way short. To me, the Nationals win the NL East and get 95 wins. It’s over. It’s a division title. It’s just not a crazy 101 wins. No way. 


Comments