Week 1 JFL Preview

It’s like running. I love it and I hate it.

Why does the season have to start on a Thursday?

We get a little taste of the NFL season and have to wait about 60 hours to see the next game. Even baseball knows to do the opening night game only 18 hours before the full slate of opening games.

Even worse, for myself in particular as an Eagles fan, I have to wait until Monday night for my team to open the season.

To me, that is the worst.

Monday night football should be banned in week one. No team’s fan base should have to see an NFL game and have to wait 95 hours to see their team play.

And poor Chargers fans. They seem to always be stuck with that 10:15 p.m. (East Coast, of course) game every opening week.

The teams in the rematch of the JFL Super Bowl won’t have to wait until Monday.

They’ll know their Week 1 fate after Sunday’s games.

In fact, they’ll actually have a good idea of where they stand after Thursday. The Super Bowl Champion Sunday Slackers will roll out Ray Rice, Torrey Smith and Demaryius Thomas in Thursday night’s Ravens-Broncos clash, while the Organ Thieves will send Peyton Manning and kicker Justin Tucker out.

The good news for the Thieves is that he has Peyton Manning going, so any points that Thomas gets, he in theory should get, too.

That can backfire if Rice and Smith have huge night.

Both teams selected running backs that I liked in the draft, but I can’t say I’m sold on them for Week 1. The Thieves’ Chris Johnson has to play in Pittsburgh Sunday, while C.J. Spiller has to play against New England.

The latter isn’t that I think the Patriots are an awesome defense, it just that I do not trust the Bills defense to stop the Patriots, which means this could be a battle-from-behind game that will not allow for a lot of rushing yards.

Yeah, rushing yards. You know how I feel about rushing yards, so let's talk about my team.

The Jammers will play in the second-most interesting game of the week because it’s a matchup against the Noise.

The battle of the brothers. The battle of the ghost hunters. No matter what title you give it, it will be the battle will be important.

One, the Jammers, is trying to overcome the woes of a 3-10 season, a season that saw the Noise beat them up 126.4-84.8.

It was the first of five straight losses to close the season, the worst losing streak in franchise history.

It will continue to get worse with another loss to the Noise.

The matchup looks good for the Jammers, but two guys will weigh heavily for both teams.

For the Noise, it’s the Saints-Falcons game where he’ll have Matt Ryan and Steven Jackson going. For the Jammers, it’s the Lions-Vikings game where he too has the QB-RB duo as Matthew Stafford and Reggie Bush take the field.

The biggest thing for the Jammers is that he has Julio Jones negate any big points that Ryan will toss up. The worst-case scenario would be a big day for Ryan that completely ignores Jones.

But, I seriously — and completely biased — doubt that.

Just as I like Andrew Luck to have a huge week for Fear and Loathing, but it won’t be enough to beat the Jawz Attack, who I think will immediately love the fact he drafted Russell Wilson and the Richardson Clan.

I think the Spacklers, Houserville and the Channel 4 News Team also will enjoy wins this weekend.

I also believe the Money Man will make it closer than ESPN is projecting as Tony Romo will lead the Cowboys to a big win Sunday.

The News Team’s win will be because of nice point totals from his running backs, while the Spacklers will roll out about 60 points between Tom Brady and Marshawn Lynch alone in a win over the Generals.

Well, that’s my Week 1 preview. Maybe I’ll revamp this after Thursday’s game.


So, enjoy the start of the NFL season and good luck to all of you except the Slackers. And my brother.

Comments