JFL Wild Card Recap: Snow, injuries and big performances pave the way

I really wish the Bears and Cowboys would have played at 1 o'clock on Sunday.

That would have saved me the 28 to 30 hours of agonizing over the snowstorm that ruined Matthew Stafford and Reggie Bush's day.

At noon, I started to get a little worried when I saw snow in Philadelphia, but the weathermen kept saying 1 to 3 inches (Damn, weathermen). At that point I weighed the options — a struggling Andy Dalton or a Matthew Stafford in a little snow.

I weighed the options and followed the golden rule in fantasy: "Stick with your guns."

You stick with the players who got you there.

So, I went with Stafford.

Eight inches of snow and a Reggie Bush pregame injury later, my team was in shambles.

Meanwhile, Andy Dalton dropped 38 points in his matchup, leaving me to think, "If I would have only started my backup."

For nearly 30 hours I lamented over this, Gina saw the worst of it, as over and over on Sunday night, I said aloud, "Damn, I should have started Dalton. Damn. Damn."

But then, Monday came and Josh McCown made me feel better with his 50 fantasy points. Hell, he could have started Andrew Luck and I still would have felt the same after he had 45 points.

Can you believe that? Watching my opponent's QB score five touchdowns and throw for 498 yards made me feel better.

Why? Because starting Matthew Stafford didn't matter.

In fact, there was nothing I could do. Fear and Loathing put together a hell of a week, and it was his two running backs leading the way.

Yeah, I know McCown had 50.6 points, but the real meat of this team lies at RB with the No. 3 and 4 backs in the JFL. Knowshon Moreno scored 18.1 and Matt Forte had 24.9.

You know, just another week for these top backs. These two are combining for more than 34 points a week, which reminds us of the 2009 Noise that had the tandem of Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown, who combined for more than 30 points a week. That's why it's appropriate that he'll be facing the Noise in the AFC Championship game.

Unfortunately for the Noise, he doesn't have that tandem running back duo, and the points put up in Week 14 have to have him a little bit scared.

The Toasters may be feeling the same sort of pressure.

The News Team dispatched of the third-seeded Organ Thieves 127.6-91.6, getting a trio of 20-point performances, as well as a 19.3-point performance from Erik Decker. Jamaal Charles had 28.3 points, keeping his status as the No. 1 RB in the JFL.

Remember the start of the preseason, when Nikish was trying to figure out who he should keep, Arian Foster or Jamaal Charles. He picked Charles and I applauded the move immediately. Well, selfishly I wanted him to drop him so I could pick him up with my No. 2 overall pick — assuming the Slackers would still have gone for that great No. 1, pick C.J. Spiller.

Nevertheless, the News Team kept him and got the points needed to beat the Thieves.

Well, it wasn't just Charles. Josh Gordon continued his torrid stretch with yet another 20-point week, make that four straight. He had 27.9 points against the Thieves to move up to the No. 2 spot in the JFL among WRs. He's had six 20-plus-point performances and at this rate, he may have two more left in him.

For the Thieves, he's sitting around thinking about what could have been. The margin of victory may have been 36 points, but Adrian Peterson slipped on the sidelines after scoring just 1.9 points. Rob Gronkowski was taken out after scoring just 3.6. Gronk had been on a double-digit tear since returning to the lineup and Peterson was coming off a week where he scored 22.5 points. So, that type of deficit could have been made up.

I blame the snow.

Comments