JimmyJam League Baseball: 2014 Season Preview (3.27.14)

It’s time for the Jammermetric Scale.

I know what you’re thinking: “It sucks.”

Well, I agree.

It was way off last year. It got only two division winners right, and let’s not even get into the playoffs.

So, why am I bringing it back?

Is it because I didn’t get a good rating?

No. Actually, I got a better-than-expected rating.

With six teams in each division, it was done a little differently. Six points if you led a category, one if you were sixth. … You should understand the rest. If not, then, find something else to do.

To me, I don’t think it necessarily predicts the right order — as we have seen in the past — but I think it’s a good measurement of who is going to be competing for playoffs spots.

If you look at last year’s standings division by division, the system said that the Bombers would be on top easily in the American League East. He won by 10 games.

In the National League East, the scale showed that the three teams would be close together all season, and if you look at, it really was that way. One early 18-4 loss to Vandelay destroyed the Slammers chance at anything and was the difference.

In the NL West, the Jammermetric Scale said that the Otto Parts would win by a landslide, and he won by 51.5 games.

The only division that was really off was the AL West where the Gamblers were supposed to win and Big League Choo was going to be in last place. … But I have to defend my scale. It’s based off of preseason projections. And those projections are made by looking at current rosters, and Choo made a League-record 13 trades last season, besting his 2012 record of seven. He also made League-record 119 acquisitions and 126 drops. So, I think it’s safe to say that he changed the landscape of his projections drastically. Excuses, I know. But I think a valid one.

So with that said, let’s take a look at this year’s standings.

I wrote going into the season that the National League would have five teams in contention for the regular-season pennant, and the Jammermetric Scale reflects that.

In the American League, the J-Scale (I’m tired of typing Jammermetric) has two front-runners and a trio of teams fighting for the final wild card.

I don’t necessarily agree with the American League’s standing, and you’ll read all about that in my American League preview.

So without further delay, here’s the J-Scale standings:

National League | PREVIEW
1. Chief Otto Parts, 91 points (7 first-place votes)
2. Philly Cheese Steaks, 87 points (3 first-place votes)
3. JimmyJam Slammers, 86 points (5 first-place votes)
4. You’re Freaking Out, 85 points (3 first-place votes)
5. Vandelay Industries, 84 points (2 first-place votes)
6. Steroid.ERA, 75 points (6 first-place votes)

American League | PREVIEW
1. Gameday Gamblers, 101 points (6 first-place votes)
2. N.J. Bombers, 95 points (4 first-place votes)
3. Big League Choo, 82 points (5 first-place votes)
4. Sex Panthers, 81 points (5 first-place votes)
5. Jerkin’ My Kurkjian, 79 points (1 first-place vote)

6. Michael Coldsmith III, 56 points (3 first-place votes)

Comments