Major League Baseball: 2014 Season Preview (3.25.14)

I'm going to just forget about last season. My predictions last year were a little off. I let too many MLB pundits get in my head about the regular season, hence the reason I bought in on the Toronto Blue Jays when deep down I knew I didn't like them.

I also then went out on a limb with the Royals and Reds in the World Series.

I was tired of hearing everyone say the Nationals and Tigers were going to be there. It was the popular pick and neither team made it.

None of my teams made it either, so that's why it's just time to move on to 2014.


Of course I'm a little biased fantasy-wise, but can you blame me for picking
the Royals? James Shields will get more offense and win the Cy Young and
a lot of that offense will come from Eric Hosmer who will win the MVP.
Yes, they're both Slammers, but I've heard national media echo my own
personal predictions, so I don't feel like I'm that biased. Plus, if I was that
biased, I wouldn't have picked the Gamblers' Stephen Strasburg and the
Bombers' Paul Goldschmidt for NL Cy Young and MVP awards.
Well, sort of.

I'm still stuck on the Royals. Big time.

Last year, I had them in as a wild card. This year, I'm picking them to win the division and the World Series. I have them over the Nationals in seven games.

I really like the Royals, and of course, I've been on their bandwagon for the last couple years, but I think I was just early to the party.

Finally, after being laughed at year after year, I'm picking them once more and I think I may finally be right. With a strong group of starters, an even stronger bullpen and an offense that will be hard to stop, I see the Royals winning 93 games and taking the division over Detroit. Crazy? Yeah, possibly. But hey, who would have predicted the Red Sox to win the East last year?

I also like Tampa Bay this season, big time. I have them meeting KC in the ALCS, and man, that will be awesome. Wil Myers vs. James Shields, among other notables. 

In the National League, I think it's going to be a huge year for the Nationals. After a disappointing 2013, I believe we'll see a Nationals team that will win at least 94 games, behind my Cy Young pick, Stephen Strasburg. (Parker Dunbar just had an accident.)

The Nats will beat the Dodgers in the NLDS and face the Cards in the NLCS before moving on to the World Series.

Here's the official Jimmy's Jargon predictions for divisions, as well as major award winners (as well as some runner-ups):

AL East            

Tampa Bay 94 68
Baltimore 88 74
Boston 85 77
New York 76 86
Toronto 71 91

AL Central


Kansas City 93 69
Detroit 88 74
Cleveland 73 89
Chicago 72 90
Minnesota 67 95

AL West


Oakland 89 73
Los Angeles 83 79
Seattle 80 82
Texas 79 83
Houston 63 99

NL East


Washington 94 68
Atlanta 85 77
New York 80 82
Miami 78 84
Philadelphia 68 94

NL Central


St. Louis 96 66
Cincinnati 87 75
Milwaukee 84 78
Pittsburgh 78 84
Chicago 65 97

NL West


Los Angeles 93 69
Arizona 90 72
San Francisco 81 81
San Diego 78 84
Colorado 72 90

Wild Cards
Diamondbacks over Reds
Tigers over Orioles

Division Series
Royals over Athletics
Rays over Tigers
Cardinals over Diamondbacks
Nationals over Dodgers

Conference Series
Nationals over Cardinals
Royals over Rays

World Series
Royals 4, Nationals 3

NL Cy Young contenders
1. Stephen Strasburg
2. Clayton Kershaw
3. Jose Fernandez

AL Cy Young contenders
1. James Shields
2. David Price
3. Max Scherzer

NL MVP contenders
1. Paul Goldschmidt
2. Bryce Harper
3. Joey Votto

AL MVP contenders
1. Eric Hosmer
2. Miguel Cabrera
3. Wil Myers

NL Rookie of the Year contenders
1. Archie Bradley
2. George Springer
3. Jake Marisnick

AL Rookie of the Year contenders
1. Jake Odorizzi
2. Jose Abreu
3. Masahiro Tanaka

Comments