Two for one: JFL 2016 Schedule and Record Book released

I dislike awkward situations. Even when someone else is caught in an awkward spot, if I'm witnessing it, I cringe.

It's just something I like to avoid.

Last March, I didn't have option. It was unavoidable.

"What would you like inscribed on the trophy?" the man behind the counter asks me.

I lay down the sheet of paper and sigh deeply before saying: "Twenty-sixteen... Steven Spillane ... and ... "

I pause again.

"Choo Big TeeDees."

He thinks about it for a second before I get the smile that leaves me feeling awkward.

I guess it could have been worse. Choo had a few other name ideas before settling on the one that would find itself etched in as the JFL Super Bowl X champion.

Now, he opens the season as the reigning champ in the Super Bowl rematch game against the Generals in Week 1. It's the only Super Bowl rematch, as the schedule came together with a rather lackluster Week 1 in terms of historical significance.

It's kind of the theme for this year as the 2016 JFL Record Book, other than featuring the typical updated team records, didn't boast too many changes in overall records. Only three players cracked the top 10 lists with just one record being broken, and that was Cairo Santos scoring a JFL record 27 points at the kicker position.

That's right, the only record broken was by a kicker.

And that has nothing to do with the 16-team league. Points remain the same, so we just didn't see the quality performances we had in past years.

Here's to hoping this year we see some big scores.

At least we know that there will be a new top 10 lists for defensive lineman, linebackers and secondary.

DRAFT NOTES:
I'm going to move the draft time up to noon. We will still start at 1 p.m., but this allows us to get into the draft room 2 hours early. I'll hit pause when ESPN starts the draft at noon. We'll get going at 1, or sooner if mutually agreed upon by all 16 teams. ... 60 seconds per pick throughout. I will not change the clock at all. I will, however, hit pause for picks in the first five rounds if there are enough live drafters to have them go to the podium and announce. Those drafting online can announce via Google Hangout.

Comments