2017 MLB Preview: Yes, I'm picking Astros over Cubs again

I can't be too upset about my predictions last year. I had the Cubs going to the World Series and losing in seven games to the Houston Astros.

Jargon Predictions
Wild Cards
Cardinals over Dodgers
Mariners over Yankees

Division SeriesCubs over Cardinals
Giants over Nationals
Astros over Mariners
Red Sox over Indians

Championship SeriesCubs over Giants
Astros over Red Sox

World SeriesAstros 4, Cubs 3


Cy Youngs
Carlos Martinez, Cardinals
Chris Sale, Red Sox

MVPs
Kris Bryant, Cubs
Jose Altuve, Astros

Rookies of the Year
Dansby Swanson, Braves
Andrew Benintendi, Red Sox
The Astros flopped early in the season and could not recover, so there went my World Series Champion. But hey, I had the Cubs there.

I know, who didn't?

Well, I did have seven out of 10 playoff teams correct, so I'll take that victory and move on to 2017.

And no, I'm not copying pasting what I had last year, but I should because once again, I have the Astros beating the Cubs in seven games.

Here's my quick reasoning on this, and it's similar to last year. Both of these teams are really stacked and you'd be crazy to think that these teams will sit still at the deadline. Both teams can and will add aces and/or pieces to solidify their runs and it won't hurt them one bit.

The Cubs did it last year and the Astros would have done it last year, but at the deadline, they were too far out to really make that impact move.

That won't be the case this year. The Astros will be in it.


NL EastWL
1Nationals9369
2Mets8577
3Marlins8082
4Braves7884
5Phillies7290

The Nationals will be there once again, and I believe they'll take the division rather easily. A large lead in August will shrink a little as reinforcements strengthen the Braves and Phillies, but I just don't see this team getting far in the playoffs once again. The Mets will be good, but the injury-prone pitching staff will be what keeps them from getting into the wild card at the end of the season.

NL CentralWL
1Cubs9763
2Cardinals8974
3Pirates8479
4Brewers7488
5Reds57105

The Cardinals, led by my Cy Young pick Carlos Martinez, and the Pirates will keep this one closer this year, but in the end, the Cubs will pull away for the division title behind the NL MVP Kris Bryant. I believe the Pirates only get to 84 wins with a late run after they trade away some key veterans, and the Cards get the wild card.
NL WestWL
1Giants9171
2Dodgers8874
3Diamondbacks8082
4Rockies7884
5Padres7092

I really like this Giants team and I think they have what it takes to challenge the Cubs like they did last season in the playoffs. This time, they won't need to waste Bumgarner in a single-game playoff to get in. This could be the best rotation in baseball at the end of the season, not the highly touted ones in D.C. and Boston. The Dodgers get the other wild card, but I just don't see enough around Clayton Kershaw and Corey Seager to make this team a division winner in 2017. In fact, I can even see the Diamondbacks jumping up to take the wild card in their stead. I had the gall to pick Arizona last year. I won't do it again. ... But I want to.
AL EastWL
1Red Sox9072
2Yankees8874
3Blue Jays8577
4Rays8280
5Orioles7290

Once again, I find the AL East to be the toughest to predict in 2017. I can make cases for all five teams to win the division. I think the Blue Jays and Rays both have the pitching to get there — I believe Stroman, Sanchez and Archer will all be in the Cy Young conversation — and the Orioles have the offense and bullpen to do it, but I'm going with the Red Sox just two games over the Yankees. This is assuming that David Price is able to join this staff and pitch at least like a No. 3 starter — which is enough with that Sox offense. The Yankees just have the lockdown bullpen that will make a lot of six-inning games for the Bombers.
AL CentralWL
1Indians9171
2Royals8874
3Tigers8280
4White Sox7092
5Twins6795

The three teams at the top of the AL Central all have major flaws. Cleveland's rotation has injury issues and I'm not sure it can hold up. The Royals have rotation and lineup questions and they no longer have Wade Davis. The Tigers also have rotation issues so what it all boiled down to for me was offense. The Indians will hit more than any team in this division and they do have the closer and bullpen to lock down close games. The Royals will fight hard, but fall up short, and the Tigers will sell off at the deadline and just creep over .500 late in September.
AL WestWL
1Astros9171
2Mariners8973
3Rangers8280
4Athletics7191
5Angels6696

Everyone's darling this year seems to be the Mariners, and as much as I like them, I like the Astros more — just ask my fantasy league. The lineup is going to mash, the rotation will get stronger when Quintana or Archer show up in June/July and the bullpen is deep. The Mariners have similar attributes which is why I have them just two games back. The Rangers fall back early with injuries and the A's and Angels struggle through another year.

Comments