Slammers continue to fall behind the rest of the JLB

It’s gotten past fluke status. What was once an every year World Series contender is merely just a playoff long-shot who has fallen short each of the last five seasons.

In 2016, it culminated in a franchise first worst-place finish in the National League.

For the Jimmyjam Slammers, it’s been a rough go.

It doesn’t look like it’s going to get any better any time soon either. The dude traded away Anthony Rizzo for two SP hopefuls.

One has fallen from top prospect to unlikely to even make the White Sox Opening Day roster. The other had an awful 2016 season, and despite a strong offseason/spring training, doesn’t look to be a huge factor in 2017.

He also traded away Chris Archer for Alex Bregman, a projected .270 hitter.

Then he trades Xander Bogaerts for Adam Eaton, Sean Manaea and a first-round pick.

Simply put, what is he doing?

“I’m just trying to catch fire,” Jimmy said. “It’s hard looking at the Outs and Steaks, and then looking at how many times I just missed the playoffs by a few games. Last year I went heavy rebuild, but it now looks like I didn’t get enough.”

That’s putting it lightly.

The bright side would be that there are some players who do some good things.

That Jose Altuve character is listed No. 2 on most fantasy rankings, and even No. 1 over that Trout guy on others. Corey Seager is and MVP candidate and Eric Hosmer is a decent first baseman.

“Between Seager, Altuve and Hosmer, I do think this trio could be the reason I make the playoffs this year,” Jimmy said.

Playoffs? Yeah, I’ll give the Slammers the nod on infield strength, but that outfield is scary bad. McCutchen is aging, Broxton is a nobody, Eaton is a waste and Springer doesn’t do enough. Only Cespedes is worth the ink, but he’s always dealing with a hamstring injury.

Don't tell that to Jimmy, though.

“I love my outfield with Cespedes, Eaton, Broxton, McCutchen and Springer,” he said. “It’s a great mix of power and speed and they’ll certainly keep me in matchups, especially if McCutchen bounces back.”

If. Oh, the if.

OK, I’ll give the Slammers this, the offense will be solid and compete, but I can’t see the pitching matching up with the rest of the division. It's just a bunch of No. 3s and 4s out there.

“Man, I’m really excited about my pitching,” Jimmy said. “Duffy and Keuchel lead the way along with my young ace Aaron Sanchez. Carlos Rodon takes the next step and watch out for Sean Manaea.”

Is there anything this guy doesn’t love? It’s like he has this unreal set of expectations for all 19 players on his team. How does anyone even hold a fantasy conversation with this guy?

At any rate, the one thing I know is true: It's a good thing this Slammer guy doesn't write a fantasy blog. I'd be mad if I read, say, 12 fantasy previews only to find out he wrote them.

Comments