JLB Opening Day brings out homers, hot dogs and Outs

Madison Bumgarner shined on Sunday, but his biggest performance of the day didn’t count for the Outs.

His two-homer day made him the first starting pitching in history to hit a pair of home runs on opening day, and he was the first Giant to hit two homers on Opening Day since 1992 (Barry Bonds).

   Mike TrOUTS calling Choo out
Isn’t that hard to believe? Bonds didn’t do that again during his big home run years. That’s kind of crazy.

Crazy like drafting minor leaguers instead of bolstering your lineup. 

That’s how Outs feels after reading the JLB preview, where several teams commented on the Outs lack of minor leaguers acquired in the draft.

“It made no sense for me to take any minor league lottery tickets when I am primed to win again,” said the 2016 World Series Champ, who tossed his rebuttal my way somewhere in between Bumgarner's first and second home runs. “Getting Morales was huge, I had him at the end of last year and in the Blue Jays line up with that home field, I think he will at least reproduce his stats, which is excellent for me, especially coming off my bench.”

Outs went into the draft with a full lineup, which including pushing a pair of stars to his utility slots.

“Bryant and Villar are my utility players for Christopher's sake,” he said. “So I wanted some veteran hitters for backups in case of injuries and for off days. What good is some 22nd-ranked rookie going to do for me this year?”

Plus, he’s set up for the offseason, because after his 2017 World Series Championship parade, he can unload the excess stars.

“I mean are you telling me I can't get a top prospect for Josh Donaldson or Starling Marte?” he questioned. "See, it’s thinking like this that wins championships folks.

“It still amazes me how many true minor leaguers are taken. Although, when you look at the players we are drafting starting with 240 players already gone, I think for some teams that are really rebuilding it’s a decent move. But for teams at the top, in the hunt, it just amazes me I can get a guy like Kevin Kiermaier in like the 26th round or Eduardo Nunez is still out there in round 24. They aren't sexy names or players but they will contribute.”

Oh, I agree. After watching Nunez going 3-for-4 with a double, a pair of runs and stolen bases, I can’t agree more.

When the 24th round rolled around, I had other plans, but seeing a potential .280 bat with 30-plus stolen bases there, I couldn’t let him go — and based on what I’ve heard from Outs now, I bet there’s a good chance he could have gone to his team if I let him go.

That’s what happened with Grandal, Zobrist, Kiermaier and Morales.

Outs is right. He is primed and ready, and I’m glad I somewhat drafted like him to fill out my roster and make a run at him.

I did, however, add a pair of young players in Kyle Tucker and Luis Robert, which is why I guess Outs doesn’t see me as posing a threat in 2017.

“I thought Trump Steaks had the best draft which makes me mad because I think he is going to give me a good run this year,” Outs said. “I thought he went after players to help him this year and make move on me. Very smart.”

What about me? What about me!?

SAVING THE BEST FOR … FIRST?
What a great day of games — especially for my fantasy team. Alex Colome started strong with the first save of the 2017 season.

Yeah, I know. So what? It’s one save.

Well, for me, it means a lot more. Last season, I didn’t get my first save until the third matchup of the season, and I didn’t pick up a third save until May 23-29 matchup.

There’s a good chance I could match that total by the end of today. Now that I wrote that, though, it won’t happen until next week.

Comments