2019 JFL Preview: Back to the Basics

I just realized that we have quite the NBA situation going on here in the JFL.

The last two Super Bowls have featured Jawz Attack vs. Channel 4 News Team. They split the Super Bowl series with Jawz taking the most recent challenge, a 115.1-89 win in JFL Super Bowl XIII.

News Team has been in each of the last three Super Bowls, and he is now 3-2 all-time in the big game with wins in Super Bowl V,  Super Bowl VIII and Super Bowl XII.

Despite the lack of parity in the last two years, overall it has be really even throughout with 10 different champions in 13 years. Only Nikish (3) and myself (2) have won multiple Super Bowls.

With that in mind, chances are we could see a new champion in 2019.

Whatever happens, I just hope we don't see another Jawz-News Team final. I'll quickly rename them to Warriors and Cavaliers — Warriorz Attack and Cavalier News Team?

The season begins tomorrow, so good luck to all!

WELCOME TO FANTRAX!
I believe I have everything set up properly. There's a lot of stuff on the scoring side to set up to mimic what we had on ESPN. So, if I notice anything out of line as scores are coming in, I will adjust. So fair warning, if you notice scores adjust, I will explain why, but I want everyone to understand the goal here is to have the same scoring system — for the most part — as ESPN.

Please peruse the scoring rules if you have interest in seeing how everything is set up (https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/league/pzxxd530jz35lzke/rules).

Some minor differences I have is how the bonuses are applied. Before, ESPN and it's boring system had options for a point total bonus if you, for example, ran for more than 100 yards, 200 yards and so on. It was locked it.

Fantrax is all customizable, so I have it set up that from 0 to 99 yards rushing/receiving, you get 0.1 points for every 1 yard — just like ESPN. Then, for yards 100 to 199, you get 0.15 points per yard, and 200 to 500 you get 0.2 points per yard. So, instead of just getting a flat bonus of 2 points for hitting 100 yards and still only getting 2 points for have 199, you get bonuses for every yard in the bonus range.

So 99 rushing yards is 9.9 points, like before, but now instead of getting 19.9 points for 199 yards rushing, plus 2 point bonus to get 21.9 points, you'll earn 24.9 points. Essentially you get four points bonus for getting to 199 yards, which is well deserved. You should get more bonus than someone who had 100, and certainly shouldn't miss out because you came up 1 yard short of 200 and the next bonus.

Passing has a different scoring, but similar setup for bonuses.

That's really the big difference. The other difference you may notice is the TD bonus has been moved from 40 to 50 yards, and it's just 1 point now.

I encourage you to check it out. See if you can find something I missed. I would definitely welcome a proof read. Thanks!


WHO'S GOING TO WIN?
There were many years of me ranking teams based on how many stars I gave each position group.

Then there was the couple years where I pushed and pushed to get you lazy SOBs to submit preseason polls. They were all over the place and I was always missing a few.

Then, I brought in the "consultant" and we all know how that went. He picked the eventual Super Bowl champion to finish last.

So I guess I'm back to square one.

But it's 10:33 p.m. and I know really nothing about the NFL — other than the fact that my team is going to totally school all of yours.

I mean, seriously, let's start with the Spacklers' keeper choice. I get your love for Tom Brady, and even though last year I made the point that you could have drafted Brady in like the fifth round instead of keeping him in the first, at least the first round keeper was 8th overall.

This year, with the No. 1 overall pick, that has to change. The players that went after Brady was selected as a keeper are going to be why the Spacklers rethink that next year when he's picking 1-1 again.

The best bang for the buck when it came to keepers were the three teams that kept running backs in the 12th round. Yes, I was one of those, but let's not focus on me.

Super Bowl champ Jawz did with Aaron Jones, but did he surround him with enough talent? Drew Brees was the first-round pick, which may prove costly considering his projections are rather pedestrian and that of QBs that went in much later rounds — not counting, Brady, of course.

Jones is the only back or receiver projected to gain 1,000 yards on this squad.

To me, this scares me when comparing it to other teams in the JFL, and maybe the consultant was a year off.

Just take Crux Bux who also kept a 12th-round back in Nick Chubb. He's one of four 1,000-yard players (projected) for Crux, and a fourth player is very close at 988 yards. His team on paper looks far better.

I'm so glad I play him Week 1.

Philly Cheese and Sunday Slackers are in similar situations as Crux, so I can see them battling for that AFC title, while Dawson and Choo both look like they are not far behind. (Sorry, Choo.)

And then there's Noise who drafted a bunch of players with low projections, just like the defending champ.

In the NFC, News Team will look to have Patrick Mahomes lead him back to the Super Bowl, and while he looks to be in good shape at wideout/tight end, his running back situation is a bit tumultuous with Melvin Gordon holding out.

When it comes to the rest of the teams in the NFC, the projections are far better than what I saw in the AFC. Graybill, Fear, T-Money, and the Toasters all have multiple 1,000-yard performers on the squad.

Oh, and I do, too, thanks to Ezekiel Elliott signing. That gives me a trio of backs projected to have at least 1,300 total yards, including Zeke's projected total of 1,730 yards. Add in some 1,000-yard receivers and a QB who is projected to have 4,300 yards passing and nearly 500 rushing, and I have to say, I like my chances.

Then again, it's the night before Week 1 starts.

Who doesn't like their chances?

It can all change so quickly because it's the NFL.

So, who's going to win it?

I told you, we're going back to square one.

The answer is me. I'm going to win it.

So bring it!


Comments