2020 JLB PREVIEWS: Big Ol' Country Breakfast

Breakfast is still the defending champion and he has yet to start his title defense here in late July.

 

He also has yet to receive the trophy.

 

You see, I was slated to get the engraving completed right before the original Opening Day and have the trophy ready for my usual cookout. I had hoped to present it then.

 

But alas, the pandemic hit and the trophy remained in my basement.

 

Does it truly exist?
 

“As with everything online,” Sam said, “I can only assume this trophy is cake and has been eaten long ago.”

 

Ah, that would explain the extra pounds put on during lockdown.


Man, I tell you, it really has been a long couple months waiting for baseball. I can finally say that I know how Sam felt in the slow draft waiting for his first pick.

 

He shipped off so many high picks to get that World Series title that he found himself really needing a strong — and perhaps lucky — draft to compete again in 2020.

 

“Oh yeah,” he said. “I take pride in my drafts most years, but I definitely set myself back in draft capital and youth to win. I need my draft picks to hit like never before,” Sam said. “Corbin Burnes is the new face who could make the biggest impact with my arms. Also I need newcomer George Springer to bang some HRs not cans.”

 

And if Springer does hit the cans, it’s a safe bet his fantasy teammate Mike Fiers will tell on him in an exclusive Jargon interview.

 

“Honestly, I forgot [Fiers] was on my team during the quarantine,” Sam said.

 

Sam has a few players who aren’t good at quarantine and they’re dealing with Covid right now, so he’ll need them to get healthy soon and make an impact.

 

The other player he hopes to get healthy and make an impact is Griffin Canning, who went from keeper to reluctant drop to late draft pick with his preseason injury concerns.

 

But with four months off, he appears to be ready to go and Sam has himself a steal.

 

“Silver lining for me was the availability now of both Canning and Mikolas,” he said. “It’s the thinnest my pitching has been in some time so having those options will be big out of the gates.”

 

And if they dominate, Sam’s run to a repeat championship could be a piece of cake.

Comments