The Jargon's MLB Preview: No surprise, Dodgers win it; but plenty of other surprises

Every year, I make my MLB predictions, so I guess I can’t stop now, even though I have no clue how this is going to work out. To make matters worse, they are currently discussing expanding playoffs here at the last minute. 


Insane, so here we go. My predictions for 2020.

 

 NL East   W L     
1    Phillies   35    25
2    Braves   33 27
3    Nationals   31 29
4    Mets   29 31
5    Marlins   26 34

I'm going to be a homer here. I was last year and I'm going to do it again. I think the Phillies' bullpen is going to be stronger than it was a year ago; I think McCutchen's return will help boost the offense to the levels we saw last year when he was in the lineup; I think Didi Gregorius was a huge signing and his bat will add some power from the infield that they did not have a year ago; and lastly, Joe Girardi is going to make a huge difference in the dugout and clubhouse. It's hard to say how many wins a manager is worth, but I can say with certainty, Gabe Kapler was worth a few extra losses. I like the Braves, but I think they fall short of the division title, and the Nats regress a bit without Rendon.

 NL Central W L      
1    Reds 33 27
2    Cardinals 32 28
3    Brewers 31 29
4    Cubs 29 31
5    Pirates 24 36

Once again, sticking to my 2019 guns here. The Reds lineup will be better and closer to what I thought they were a year ago; they have Bauer for a full season; and the bullpen is strong. If they falter, I give the division to the Cards, which is why I have them right there in second place. The Cubs don't have the pitching to match up here and the Brewers will fall just short.
 
 NL West W L      
1    Dodgers    39 21
2    DBacks     32 28
3    Rockies 28 32
4    Padres 26 34
5    Giants 23 37

Do I need to write anything here? Dodgers all the way. It will be easy. I say that the DBacks will be their toughest competition, and they will vie for a wild card spot — especially if the playoffs randomly expand here in the next 20 hours.

 AL East  W L      
1    Rays  36 24
2    Yankees  34 26
3    Blue Jays  31 29
4    Red Sox  30 30
5    Orioles  21 39

Sorry, Choo. Sorry, Gina. The Rays have the pitching dominance to do this. Sixty games is exactly what they need with a rotation that is loaded with guys who can go out and pitch without limits. The lineup is going to be really good, too, especially when Wander Franco comes up in mid-August when the Rays realize this could be a special season. I like the Yankees, and originally had them winning this, but I just have this gut feeling about the Rays. I also like the Jays to fight for a wild card with that lineup and sneaky good starting pitching. I'm being nice giving the Sox a 30-30 record, but that's thanks in part to 10 games against the O's.

 AL Central       W L      
1    White Sox   34 26
2    Twins   32 28
3    Indians   31 29
4    Tigers   26 34
5    Royals   22 38

I'm drinking the Kool-Aid. I did it last year for the Twins, and it paid off, and this year, I'm going White Sox. The rotation is young and strong, and the lineup is going to mash on most nights. I could even make an argument that 34 wins is a bit low. Twins will be right there for a wild card, and Indians may send Lindor off before the deadline.

 AL West        W L      
1    Athletics 35 25
2    Astros 34 26
3    Rangers 31 29
4    Angels 28 32
5    Mariners 24 36

Another new champion in the AL. I'm going three-for-three here. A's edge the Astros. I think both teams really will be strong all season, but the Astros are going to give up some early wins without Yordan Alvarez and several relievers. Just look at their bullpen right now. They have several key pitchers who will not be ready on Friday. Roberto Osuna hasn't even thrown off a mound yet. The open with a four-game series against the Mariners, so a bit lucky there, but I wouldn't dare give them the sweep. And then, it's the Dodgers! Oh boy!

So, I'm assuming the playoffs are normal, here we go:

NL Play-in (Game 61)
Cardinals over DBacks

Wildcards
Braves over Cardinals
Yankees over Astros

NLDS/ALDS
Phillies over Reds
Dodgers over Braves
Rays over Yankees
White Sox over Athletics

NLCS/ALCS
Dodgers over Phillies
Rays over White Sox

World Series
Dodgers over Rays

Comments