JLB 2021 SEASON PREVIEWS: Gameday Gamblers

It's Parker's birthday, so let's start there. Happy birthday, Parker — my former Kutztown roommate and maybe former good friend after this Jargon!

There was a point during the day today where I thought, Maybe I should be nice on his birthday and write a nice piece like I did for JV.  But that point of the day passed, and here we are, clicking PUBLISH on the eighth JLB Preview of the season.

Enjoy!

_______________________________________________________

If you need your towels cleaned, just throw them in the basement. Parker is down there with nothing to do, and he's already thrown in his towel.

The Gamblers had 1st and 10 on their own 40 with a decent-looking drive about to develop, and yet, he is punting. He's like the Green Bay Packers on the goal-line with Aaron Rodgers needing two scores and settling for a field goal.

He threw a valuable pitching asset in Stephen Strasburg (did I spell it right, Steve?) a potential breakout outfielder in Joc Pederson and a future ace-in-the-making in Kumar Rocker for ... an injured outfielder. 

But he's coming back like 15 days sooner!

Yes, that outfielder is of course Eloy Jimenez, a player who I have tried to acquire for several years now, but failed. And I'm glad I failed. So are several others who have tried to get him over the offseason.

He's injured. So what? He's only 24! 

Is his career over? No, of course not. But I do have some reservations over someone who has played the way he has. I'd be worried about him with this injury in particular. And being happy about him returning in 3.5 months vs. 4 months is rather silly to me. I certainly wouldn't make this deal right now, but hey, I'm not throwing in the towel. 

But who knows? Maybe I'm just scared.

"My team sucks?" Parker asked. "Sure, if you ask Choo or Crox… but if you ask me they’re just scared. After their drafts, especially Choo’s, my team has a great shot at making the playoffs and anything can happen in the postseason."

OK, Punter.

This is about as baffling as the Reds' handling of the offseason. They needed a shortstop, had several great options, and instead, they've decided to move their third baseman to shortstop, their second baseman to third base and their third base prospect to second base.

Yeah, it's a bit baffling. But hey, I guess you do silly things when you really don't care to compete.

"I’m not really a fan of this move," avid Reds fan Parker Puntbar said. "Sure it gives me more roster flexibility but I would rather Suarez just become a full time DH, Oh wait MLB and MLBPA would rather pitchers get hurt… I’m not sure he can stick at SS but give me 20 games there for the position in Fantrax for next year."

Next year. He's always thinking about next year.

"Potential 40 homer power at the SS position is definitely elite. If he can reach his production level from 2019 I will definitely have some hard decisions to make with potential trades. I can tell you one thing for sure, Gleyber is staying put. He’s a cornerstone of the Gamblers. Choo would have to seriously pay up with a top 25 player because that is what Gley will be within the next couple of years… People forget that he’s only 24!!"

Oh, seriously pay up you say! It just so happens that Choo has an injured Top 25 player in Luke Voit. You make that deal, and that solves about 38 percent of your problems.

In all seriousness, I think this roster actually has some potential. I did like it better with Stras and Joc, but I don't think that's what holds the Gamblers back in 2021.

Bounce-back seasons from Ramon Laureano, Gary Sanchez, Bryan Reynolds, Matt Chapman and Josh Bell would certainly do it because there's a decent pitching rotation to go with it, but asking for that many bounce-backs is a bit much.

"The Gamblers are definitely counting on some bounce-back years to be able to make the playoffs," Parker said. "There are three players that we’ll be counting on for bounce-back year, Bell, Gleyber and Chapman. If these three have anything close to 2019 we will be in great shape. Bell and Gleyber are already both showing they are ready for 2021 with how their spring is going. Chappy is coming off an injury-prone 2020 with hip surgery and he is not where he wants to be stat-wise but we’re confident he’ll be himself again on April 1st and be ready for the grind."

If they do happen, though, look out because even though he dealt Castillo and Strasburg, he still has some quality starters.

Max Fried, Zack Wheeler — who he got back in the Castillo deal — Sonny Gray, Chris Paddack and Charlie Morton are a nice five-man rotation, and there are some good upside starters in Elieser Hernandez, Michael Wacha and Adbert Alzolay.

"Fried is ready to take it to the next level and become a top 10 pitcher in the league this year," Parker said. "Not only does he have the stuff to do it but also he’s on the Braves. They know a thing or two about pitching and every time I hear MLB Network Radio comparing Fried, Soroka, Anderson to Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine it gets me so excited!"

But not as excited as he is for Andrew Vaughn and Julio Rodriguez, both of whom should have made the Opening Day roster, but only one did.

"JRod, who is hitting over .300 in Spring Training, should be playing with the Mariners but unfortunately I think they hold him back this year and next year will be his year," Parker said. "Both players will be cornerstones and the future looks bright for the Gamblers."

Ah, the future.

It's so close for Parker. It's like just over that wall over there.

Can you see it?

If you can't, just ask Eloy to describe what he sees.

Comments