2022 JLB Season Preview: Bensalem Slammers

“Let the Kids Play”
By Samuel Marcinek

The banners are frayed and the trophies covered in dust, but Championships last forever. Yes, even the titles from the dead ball era (not what you think it means Choo). 

The Ghosts of Michael Young, Hanley Ramirez, and Cliff Lee stand tall in memory - part of the last core to deliver a JLB Championship to the Slammers. Now a new core is set to emerge, Bobby Witt Jr and Spencer Torkelson will debut on Opening day - Slammers hopes to begin a new era, one that has required patience. 

“This was my target year to get it going again, which is why I targeted second-round picks last July at the deadline," Slammers said. "I believe this is going to be the start of my next window and the beginning of some playoff runs in Bensalem.”

It’s easy to see why the Slammers are feeling that playoff breeze once again. The 21-year-old Witt is projected to hit 18 Homers and Steal 21 bases - Pencil in another 20 Bombs from Tork and this duo might have the launch angle to send JJ back to the postseason. 

"Witt really looks to be the real deal. You never know when you make a crazy deal years prior if it will pan out, and so far, both Witt and Spencer Torkelson appear to be making my dreams come true.”

The kids join a potent offense featuring six veterans coming off 30 Home Run campaigns. Matt Olson, Austin Riley, Kyle Tucker, Franmil Reyes, Tyler O’Neill, and Jorge Polanco look to continue punishing balls. Marcell Ozuna (fresh off his own punishment) will look to redeem himself in the fantasy community. 

Slamming is in the name after all, but what about the pitching. A revamped rotation adding the likes of Joe Musgrove, Jose Berrio, Kyle Hendricks and Joe Ryan this offseason. Statcast darling Patrick Sandoval was a quick pick, but it’s the late innings where Slammers look to close the gap. Josh Hader, Edwin Diaz, Devin Williams all offseason acquisitions part of his maniacal plan for the Pen to save his pitching. Slammers only won “saves” once in 2021 - He is likely to match that total in week one.  

That is the plan at least, a plan that ends with a return to glory. Then again - its not like Cody Bellinger PLANS to strike out 60 percent of his spring at bats.

...

...

...

...

...

Jimmy here. I have to step in here because, Sam, is that it? 

Is that all you got?

I pour hours into previews and you use only 1 percent of my quotes? I gave you gold. So, let's provide everyone a window into the official interview transcript:

SAM: The Slammers stocked up on youth and picks specifically to open the title window this season - is that window officially open?

SLAM: The rebuild has been on since the moment I drafted Adley Rutschman and Nick Gonzales in back-to-back first rounds. I’ve done my best to compete during those years, but the goal was to not give up on the talent coming up. That continued when I acquired Witt and Torkelson, and added CJ Abrams to my minor leagues. This was my target year to get it going again, which is why I targeted second-round picks last July at the deadline. I believe this is going to be the start of my next window and the beginning of some playoff runs in Bensalem.

SAM: Franmil, Williams, Berrios, Bellinger, Ryan, Hader, Diaz, Musgrove - As busy an offseason as we saw, what was the biggest offseason move for the Slammers?

SLAM: This offseason was wild, and it all started with Jack Flaherty — sorry, Crox. I acquired Jack last summer knowing my window was likely opening this year, so why not have a nice front-line starter? But then, Jack got hurt again last summer, minor injury, but still, it was enough to scare me. I shopped a bit, but when I found that I could add two top-end relievers and a second-round pick, I jumped at it and thus began my offseason. I had already had discussions to get Musgrove, so I was ready to pull the trigger on Jack. And then, the rest of the offseason started to line up. And I really thought I was going DH-less into the draft until late on keeper deadline night, Choo tossed out Franmil for what was my 9th pick in the draft, and I had to bite.

SAM: Rookies will play a major role this offseason - which debut are you most excited about and why is it Witt?

SLAM: I’d be dumb not to say Bobby Witt excites me the most. He really looks to be the real deal. You never know when you make a crazy deal years prior if it will pan out, and so far, both Witt and Spencer Torkelson appear to be making my dreams come true. That said, other rookies that excite me are Keibert Ruiz and Gabriel Arias, who I think may break camp and make me drop the comedic punchline known as Andrew Heaney.

SAM: The bullpen face-lift- even in the draft it was a target of yours - how important will that unit be with the expanded RP spots?

SLAM: So, the crazy thing was, I wanted to build up some strong starters in the offseason — which I did — and then add a bunch more with all my second-round picks, but it started to become clear that there wasn’t going to be much out there starter wise. So at the last minute, I was able to flip E-Rod for Williams to strengthen that pen into the draft, and then, I used my picks to add to it. I can do the simple math, and I know there’s no way to match the 200-K horses of the S-Scale’s top teams, so I had to target other categories to win. Last year, I won saves once. ONCE. In total, I went 1-16-4 in saves and 9-10-2 in holds. When you’re not competitive on the SP front, and then you gather 26 losses and 6 ties from your bullpen in saves/holds alone, that hurts. Turn those into wins, and the Slammers go 233-212. That would have been a playoff spot. Obviously, I’m not going to sweep like that, but it should be enough, then added with the lineup, to get me 240 wins this year. Yeah, I said it. Two-hundred and forty wins. I’ll go one further. That’s going to be 60 more wins than Parker gets. How’s that smack to the face feel, Parker. Now, let’s hand out some documentaries.

...

Now you see why I had to post it. That Parker smack talk at the end. That's gold, Jerry. Gold.

Comments