JLB SEASON PREVIEW: 2024 Bensalem Slammers

Thursday will mark the start of the 18th season of the JLB.

I was walking to my car from my office the other day — it's a half-mile trek so I always have time to think — and I was amazed when counting the years. 

How did we get here?

Well, 18 years ago, I was big into fantasy football.

The JimmyJam Football League was my life. The group of guys in that League were so much fun to play fantasy sports with, and this blog was created just for them.

Previews, recaps, I did it all.

And in the winter of 2007, I found myself in withdraw.

No fantasy sports until August?! Man, I need something to fill the void.

Let's rewind the clocks a little more.

In 1993, I was in love with the Philadelphia Phillies. My grandfather would always have them on TV when I went over to his house and we'd watch the games. I didn't understand much about it, but I just knew I loved watching Lenny Dykstra, John Kruk, Darren Daulton and Mitch Williams. And I loved Pete Incaviglia because his name was fun to say.

I started collecting baseball cards and because I had a few Cal Ripken cards, he instantly became my favorite player and I worked to collect as many Ripken cards as I could. It's why the Orioles are my AL team and I root for them.

I remember listening to the 1993 World Series on the radio while away at a school camp outing, and even though the Phils lost, I was ready for more baseball.

But the strike hit and my love for baseball faded and football took over.

It wasn't until my time at the University of Pittsburgh, as a big history buff, I took a History of Sport class because the professor had been a great mentor for me from prior history classes.

I didn't expect the class to be baseball heavy, but there was a huge part of the semester spent on talking about the Negro Leagues and their history in Pittsburgh with the Homestead Grays and the Pittsburgh Crawfords.

The stories were inspiring and that fire for baseball was reignited. 

The Phillies were no good at the time, but I found myself watching games over the summer. I watched Jim Thome bash homers, Mike Lieberthal shine behind the plate and Bobby Abreu become an all-star, all while a young group of Phillies started to take the field — Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard and Cole Hamels.

So when that winter of 2007 came around and I was looking to fill that fantasy void, I thought, "Hey, why not give this fantasy baseball thing a try?"

And thus, the JLB was born.

Eighteen years later, it is my pride and joy to run. I love the group of owners we have and the people I've met along the way; Pitt and Kutztown alums who I had classes with, media contacts/friends through Gina's former TV station, my intern and go-to play-by-play guy at the Patriot League who are now more than just co-workers, and last, but not least, our resident Canadian who just happened to click on a Twitter profile and engage. And I'm so glad he did.

It's been a great 18 years, and I have to say, the thing that excites me more than this year's soon-to-be Rookie of the Year Jackson Merrill is the fact that heading into Year 18, we have a strong group of friends and baseball fanatics coming together daily, all year long, to talk about America's great past-time, the sport that keeps us sane throughout these crazy times.

So instead of projecting why I think my team will be in the playoffs, I decided to use my preview to say THANK YOU to all of you for making the JLB so special.

Good luck to everyone. 

Well, most everyone. (Hey, I still want to win the NL.)

Comments